Road Traffic Accidents

Road traffic accidents are the most common type of accident claims, with hundreds of people being injured every day. If you have been involved in a road traffic accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries and any other losses arising.
The following are examples of situations that may give rise to an accident:
  • Pedestrian crossing the road
  • Car Passenger
  • Bus Passenger
  • Rear end shunt
  • Motorbike and bicycle accidents
In most cases insurance will be in place covering the other party. If this is not the case however, there is an organization called the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) who may meet the claim. Initially it may be unknown as to whether the other party is insured. The MIB have strict time limits as to how long after an accident an accident claim can be made, it is therefore extremely important that the following steps are taken after any road traffic accident:
  • Take down the details of the other party at the scene, including name, address, telephone and insurance details and vehicle registration number.
  • Report the facts to the police immediately including any information relevant to liability: whether or not the other party was distracted from driving and observing the road; whether to your knowledge they were they smoking or using a mobile phone (without a hands free device) whilst driving and at the time of the accident. If for any reason this is not possible report the accident in person to a police station as soon as you can (and get a reference number)
  • Take details of any other party and any witnesses.
  • Contact your own insurers, if relevant.

What is Road Accident Claim Compensation?

If you or any one of your family has been involved in a road traffic accident that is not your fault and has sustained an injury, you may be able to bring a car accident claim against the party at fault to recover:
  • Compensation for your injuries.
  • The cost of repairs to, or for the loss of your vehicle.
  • The cost of hiring another vehicle.
  • The cost of treatment and ongoing care if this becomes necessary.
  • Loss of earnings and any other out-of-pocket expenses.
Even if the responsible driver is not insured you are still within your rights to claim against the Motor Insurers Bureau, an organisation set up to provide compensation to peolpe who are injured by uninsured and untraced drivers.

Also, if you are a passenger in a vehicle that is involved in an accident and you get injured, then you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim, even if the person who is driving the vehicle you are in is at fault.

Post a Comment