Every dog ​​owner should know what to do if a dog is exposed to poisons. There are many types of toxic substances that can come in contact with a dog. If you think your dog has been exposed to a poison or toxic substance, it is important that you act quickly. If possible, take the time in advance (before an emergency occurs) to learn what to do if your dog is poisoned.

Identify the poison

First, try to identify the toxin and how your dog came in contact with it.

Was it eaten, sucked or sucked through the skin? Was it a poisonous plant ? Could it have been a harmful food ? Was it a toxic chemical ? Try to determine how much of the toxin your dog has eaten, inhaled or come in contact with. Obtaining the original packaging of the toxin (if applicable).

Get professional help

Your next step is to call for veterinary medical advice, even if your dog is functioning normally. You should not expect your dog to show signs of illness because it may be too late by then. Never give your dog a home remedy or other treatment without talking to a veterinary professional in the first place. If your family vet office is open, call them first. If poisoning occurs after a few hours, call a nearby veterinary emergency clinic. A veterinary professional will be able to show you how to proceed. The actions you will be advised to take will depend on the type of toxin exposure.

Here are some actions a professional can take:

  • You may be advised to rush your dog to the nearest open veterinary clinic. Get there fast, but be safe! Remember to bring the toxin packaging if applicable, as well as your dog’s medical records if he will be new to this clinic itself.
  • A professional may ask you to induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. For this reason, you should always try to keep an unopened and unopened bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your home (usually hydrogen peroxide will not work). You will give hydrogen peroxide to your dog orally. The veterinary profession will tell you how much to give. NOTE: Do not do this only if advised to do so by a veterinary professional. It is not always safe to induce vomiting!
  • If your dog’s skin or clothing is in contact with the toxin, you may be advised to wash it. A professional can recommend normal dog shampoo or something stronger. In some cases, a cleanser for cutting fat works better. Try to keep a drinking soap at Dawn, as a professional may recommend you hang your dog with it.
  • You may be asked to call for animal poison control. Some veterinary offices prefer to call the poison control to get advice directly. Either way, a fee can be passed on to you. Try to keep these phone numbers handy:
    ASPCA Poison Control (888) 426-4435. Its contact method and company information is as below. Pet Poison Hotline (800)213-6680

Be prepared for an emergency

It is a good idea to keep your dog’s medical records, identification (like a microchip or tattoo) and other important items in an accessible area in case you need to go to a new veterinary clinic. Also, make sure your dog wears a collar with an ID tag or holds it near the door (with a leash) so they are easy to catch at the exit.

Generally, you should contact a veterinary clinic if your dog shows any signs of illness , even if you do not suspect poisoning. Symptoms of toxicity may not appear for hours. Signs may be vague, such as lethargy or poor appetite.

Signs of toxicity can also be more extreme, such as seizures, collapse, or difficulty breathing.

Prevent poisoning

Do everything you can to prevent toxin exposure in the first place. Keep dangerous items out of the reach of your dog (this includes your litter). Try to use products in your home and yard that you know you are safe for pets. Be careful not to throw away potentially harmful food items while cooking. Choose crazy plants and flowers for your home and yard. Prevention is the best thing you can do to protect your dog. However, poisoning can still occur, no matter how careful you are. Fortunately, you now know what to do only if your dog is poisoned.